Okay, so I definitely abandoned this blog after being so discouraged...so let me fill you in. I did ovulate with 150 mg of clomid, but didn't get pregnant. The second month I did not ovulate on 150mg of clomid, but the third month I did and did not get pregnant. We then met with the doctor and were referred to Shady Grove Fertility Center to explore IUI and IVF options. We did one more clomid cycle at 150mg while waiting for the referral to go through and although I did ovulate, we still didn't get pregnant.
At the beginning of July we met with the doctors and nurses at Shady Grove Fertility where they were confident that they could get me pregnant. After much thought, Brad and I decided that we were going to try three rounds of IUI in order to try and get pregnant. We had all the referrals filled out and ready to go and prescriptions for meds and injections in at Kaiser. We went to the beach the last week in July with my family and decided that upon our return we would take the injection class and get started on our first round of IUI.
This past Thursday, Brad and I went to the Baltimore UMD Shady Grove center to have a preliminary ultrasound and bloodwork done before starting Provera and to get trained on how to do the injections. The ultrasound showed a good uterine lining so I could start the Provera and it showed a large cyst on my left ovary. The nurse taught us how to mix the meds and how to administer the injections (which was very scary). We left a little scared, but a little excited. Our excitement was shattered on the car ride home.
I called Kaiser to check on my prescriptions to see if they were ready for pickup. She said that they had all come in and let me know that the total was going to be $695!!!! Now, don't get me wrong...I knew that IUI and any fertility experiments were going to be expensive...but we had just bought a new washer and dryer for a few hundred more than that and it took us almost six years to do that!!!! I cried the whole way home from the doctor feeling defeated and that life was so unfair for us. Do you know what you can buy for $700!?!?!? My dream has been to take Brady to Disney World before he gets too old, and that money is half of a trip to Disney World!...and that was just for the meds!
We decided to bypass Kaiser on the way home because we still needed to get a Provera prescription filled for me and a Doxycycline prescription filled for Brad. I figured that we should just pick them all up at one time. I got home and I called my nurse, Betsy, about getting the Provera prescription. She wasn't in the office, so I spoke to another nurse. The nurse was rattling off a note that Betsy had left on my file with a list of new prescriptions that she would like ordered and filled for me. I asked this nurse if $700 for the injectibles and the other meds was about average for the cost. The nurse stammered a little unsure of how to answer my question. She then said, "Hasn't anyone told you?" ..at this point, I was totally confused. She then let me know that my bloodwork from that morning showed that I was pregnant!
At this point, I screamed and cried as if someone had died. I was hysterical! Brad and Brady were both terrified about the news that I was going to give them when I hung up the phone. It really was completely unbelievable. It was the one month that we weren't "trying", where we weren't on any kind of fertility medicine. It was truly unthinkable!
That was about 36 hours ago, and life has not been the same since. Brad is already making plans for the nursery. I have picked out girl and boy bedding. I even started a registry! I go in again on Monday for more bloodwork and they are going to monitor me closely until I get out of the first trimester. I don't feel sick or tired (occasionally, but not like I was with Brady)...but it is still very early. Would I be surprised if I went in on Monday and this was all a mistake...no! I totally expect that I am going to go in on Monday and they are going to tell me that I'm not pregnant and that they must have made a mistake. I now pray that if I am, that this baby is healthy and that I carry it to term. The birthday would be in the beginning of April. We have decided not to find out the sex of the baby...this one is all about surprises!
Happy day!
Saturday, August 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow, what a rollercoaster of a day! Congrats!
ReplyDelete